Rhubarb Custard Pie

This is my first time making this pie with my very own rhubarb! Thanks to my friend, I have my own plant now, and I'll happily make pies from it for years to come. My aunt used to make this pie all the time, and it's fantastic! It's tart and sweet and really unique. I use Betty Crocker's Standard Pastry recipe along with this, and it's a winner every time!





Rhubarb Custard Pie
Our Swiss Pantry
Mrs. Willis W. (Magdalena) Lehman


4 cups rhubarb
¾ cup sugar
1 ¼ cups sugar
4 tablespoons flour
½ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter
3 eggs, well beaten

Mix rhubarb and 3/4 c. sugar; let stand till watery. Work 1 1/4 c. sugar, flour and salt into butter; add eggs, then add to rhubarb. Pour into an unbaked 10" pie shell and bake 15 minutes at 400° then 45 minutes at 325°.

If frozen rhubarb is used, pour off water before adding sugar.

MacGourmet Rating: 5 Stars

Labels: , , , , , , ,