Pulled Pork

OK, don't laugh...but pulled pork doesn't always look appetizing, so I thought a garnish would make it more presentable...and I grabbed a thyme blossom from my garden. I know, it's silly. But forget about that now because you have got to try this recipe. O...M...G it's fantastic! I let the meat sit in the rub for a day and a half - I just threw it into a Ziploc freezer bag - I didn't bother double wrapping it. I also couldn't find pork shoulder, so I used a boneless pork loin roast. This is the most flavorful pulled pork I've ever made - possibly the best one I've ever had! The best tip was to get rid of the cooking liquid and then shred the pork, put it back in the crockpot with the BBQ sauce and cook a little longer - it was perfect! We made this into sandwiches and threw some of the cole slaw right on top. WOW.



Pulled Pork
Cooks Illustrated

serves 6

Spice Rub:
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1-2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon dried oregano
4 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons table salt
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 tablespoon ground white pepper
1 (6-8 pound) bone-in pork shoulder
½ teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)
2 cups barbecue sauce

Mix all spice rub ingredients in small bowl.

Massage spice rub into meat. Wrap tightly in double layer of plastic wrap; refrigerate for at least 3 hours. For stronger flavor, the roast can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.

Unwrap roast and place it in slow cooker liner. Add liquid smoke, if using, and 1/4 cup water. Turn slow cooker to low and cook for 8-10 hours, until meat is fork-tender.

Transfer roast to cutting board; discard liquid in liner. Pull by tearing meat into thin shreds with two forks or your fingers. Discard fat.

Place shredded meat back in slow cooker liner; toss with 1 cup barbecue sauce, and heat on low for 30-60 minutes, until hot. Serve with additional barbecue sauce.

MacGourmet Rating: 5 Stars

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,