Halloween Cookies

I was looking for something in the kitchen when I came across the Halloween cookie cutters that I bought a few months back. Not to be deterred by the fact that Halloween had already passed, I decided to make my favorite sugar cookie recipe from my Grandma. These are the best Christmas cookies ever - they're soft and light, and the icing is just right. I decided to try out freezing half of the dough this time around, too, to see if it'll work for some Christmas cookies in December (or January if I decide to keep missing holidays!). These cookies are always a big hit, and they're great all year round.



Christmas Cookies
Grandma

1 c butter
1/2 t salt
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 c sugar
3 1/2 c flour
3 eggs
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cream of tartar

Cream butter, sugar and vanilla. Add eggs and beat until light and fluffy. Add dry ingredients.

Divide in half and chill for 1 hour. Roll out to 1/8” thick. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet at 375° for 8 minutes.

Icing

1/3 c butter, softened
3 c powdered sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp milk

Stir together until smooth.

Makes about 6 dozen.

MacGourmet Rating: 5 Stars

Labels: , , , , , , , ,