This month's Supper Club theme was Ocho de Mayo, so it was all Mexican food. I've always wanted to try making a tres leches cake, so I figured this would be the perfect occasion to do it. It was an insanely delicious cake. The only thing that I wasn't prepared for was that the cake would take a while to absorb the milk mixture. Give yourself a good 45 minutes for it to soak in before you frost it. This is a moist and delicious cake that is sure to be a big hit at any party.
Tres Leches (Milk Cake)
Allrecipes - Stephanie
"This cake is made with three layers: Cake, filling, and topping. There are 4 types of milk in the filling and topping (whole milk, condensed milk, evaporated milk, and heavy cream). This is an excellent cake for milk lovers!"
Original Recipe Yield 1 -9x13 inch cake
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups whole milk
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour one 9x13 inch baking pan.
2. Sift flour and baking powder together and set aside.
3. Cream butter or margarine and the 1 cup sugar together until fluffy. Add eggs and the 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract; beat well.
4. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture 2 tablespoons at a time; mix until well blended. Pour batter into prepared pan.
5. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes. Pierce cake several times with a fork.
6. Combine the whole milk, condensed milk, and evaporated milk together. Pour over the top of the cooled cake.
7. Whip whipping cream, the remaining 1 cup of the sugar, and the remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla together until thick. Spread over the top of cake. Be sure and keep cake refrigerated, enjoy!
Amount Per Serving Calories: 280 | Total Fat: 13.7g | Cholesterol: 87mg
MacGourmet Rating: 5 Stars
Labels: allrecipes, baking, cake, dessert, evaporated milk, mexican, milk, Stephanie, sweetened condensed milk, tres leches, vegetarian, whipped cream, wow