Father's Day: Brazilian Pepper and Onion Vinaigrette

My father-in-law and I picked up this dish from some Brazilian hang glider and paraglider pilots upstate at his brother's flight park a few years back. It's super simple and delicious (if you enjoy raw onions and peppers). Trust me, the bad breath is totally worth it. We've been calling it "vinaigrette" but I know that can't be the right name. There's no oil in it, and I can't find anything online that's similar enough to use that name instead. If anyone knows the right name for this, please let me know. It's one of our favorite things - it's great over freshly steamed white rice. Yum!



Brazilian Pepper and Onion Vinaigrette
Settino & Ashley Covelli

3 bell peppers, preferably a combination of colors
1 large white or red onion
2T white vinegar
2T water
generous pinch Kosher salt

Chop the peppers and onions and put them in a bowl. Add salt, vinegar and water and stir to coat. Refrigerate for at least an hour, stirring occasionally. Serve on top of steamed rice.

Big Flavors Rating: 5 Stars

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,