Green Beans with Tomato and Carrot

Pin It

I came up with this side dish to go along with the Swiss steak recipe that I made. It only called for part of a can of diced tomatoes, so I figured it would be good to make something with the rest of the can. I also used some Russian Red garlic that a friend brought back to me from the Hudson Valley Garlic Festival.



Green Beans with Tomato and Carrot
Ashley Covelli

2 T extra virgin olive oil
2 carrots, peeled, cut in half lengthwise, and thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
pinch of red pepper flakes
7 oz. canned diced tomatoes (I used what was leftover from this recipe)
1 t dried Italian seasoning
1/4 c water
2 T balsamic vinegar

In a medium skillet, sauté carrots, garlic and red pepper flakes in oil until soft. Add beans, tomatoes, water, and Italian seasoning. Simmer, covered, until almost tender. Remove cover, add in the balsamic vinegar and let the juices reduce until the beans are at the desired doneness.

Big Flavors Rating: 4 Stars

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,