Dutch Apple Pie



We're still working on using up that half bushel of apples that we picked. Dino requested apple pie. I remembered the Dutch Apple Pie that I made for Thanksgiving a while back. I remembered my aunt's comments about using half brown sugar on the topping, so I did that this time around. Also, I realized (after buying a standard pie crust) that this should really be a deep dish pie. So I've revised the recipe below. This makes a superb apple pie. The top gets nice and crunchy from the initial higher heat, and the flavor is just outstanding. This is a family favorite!



Dutch Apple Pie
Adapted from Our Swiss Pantry
Mrs. Ellie (Rhoda) Hirschy


Filling:
3 c (4 large) tart apples
1/2 c sugar
1 tsp cinnamon

Topping:
1/4 c sugar
1/4 c brown sugar
3/4 c flour
1/3 c butter

1 unbaked deep dish pie shell, 9"

Peel and cut apples. Combine 1/2 c sugar with cinnamon; sprinkle over apples and toss to coat. For topping, sift 1/4 c sugar with flour. Add brown sugar and cut in butter until crumbly. Put crumbs on top of pie and bake 10 mins at 450, then 30 mins at 350.

Big Flavors Rating: 5 Stars

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,