Chewy Ginger Snaps



I had a stick of butter on the counter to make Snickerdoodles, but when I went to start mixing everything up, I realized that I didn't have any shortening. So, a change of plan was in order. I sent an SOS message on facebook, and asked if anyone had any recommendations for a cookie recipe to make that would use a stick of butter and wouldn't require a trip to the grocery store. Alysha from The Savory Notebook recommended these Chewy Ginger Snaps, and I was immediately intrigued. Adding crystallized ginger to a cookie? Ummm yes, please! So when I got around to baking these bad boys, I had to refrain from eating all of the dough in the bowl. It was SO good! The dough was pretty crumbly for me, and it didn't spread while baking for some reason. So for the last batch, I smushed the dough flat with the bottom of the measuring cup. They tasted great either way. They're crisp on the outside and soft on the inside. Yum. I sent them to work with Dino and they were a huge hit! These weren't as good as our favorite Molasses Sandwich Cookies, but they were much easier to make.



Chewy Ginger Snaps
The Ginger People

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1 egg
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 1/4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground ginger
2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 ounces crystallized ginger, chopped coarsely

Instructions: Preheat oven to 375°F. Combine softened butter, sugar, molasses and egg. Using a mixer, beat well. Sift dry ingredients together. Add to wet mixture. Stir until just combined. Stir in crystallized ginger. Form 1 inch balls. Roll in granulated sugar. Place on greased cookie sheet, 2 inches apart. Bake 8-10 minutes. Makes 3 dozen cookies.

Big Flavors Rating: 4 Stars

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,